Friday, July 07, 2006

Wizard Rock

While in Boston, I was introduced to the music genre Wizard Rock, which according to Wikipedia dates from 2002 with Harry and the Potters being the first such band. My friend Alice had seen Harry and the Potters and dragged me to see The Remus Lupins at T.T. the Bear's.

The show was actually quite fun. Despite the plural in the band's name, Alex Carpenter is the sole member, though he was accompanied on one song by friends on other instruments. I bought a copy of his CD--you can hear some of his music on his Web site and myspace page--though it lacks the energy of his live playing. (He also played the show in a Hogwarts uniform, sweater and all; I don't know how he withstood the heat.)

Still, he's a talented musician, and it was interesting to learn about another facet of fandom. (See Wikipedia articles on cosplay and slash fiction).

Filed in:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still haven't heard any of these bands yet. Good to know that they're talented. A lot of people I talked with said it's nothing more than bad music with weird and funny songs. I guess I'll check out his Web site to see.

7:58 PM  
Blogger mlliu said...

My friend thinks Harry and the Potters are pretty good. I still haven't gotten a chance to listen to The Remus Lupins' CD, but as I mentioned, the little I heard wasn't as good as the guy's live performance, which was augmented by the audience's enthusiasm. Then again, I'd say that a lot of popular music, not just Wizard rock, is pretty bad.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home