Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Nature of Pain

I haven't been posting as much as I would've liked because I've been feeling lousy, physically, for the past few days. I finally got some over-the-counter meds to treat my symptoms because they were starting to interfere with my daily life. I've gone to work but ignored my writing, and now I've got deadlines coming up.

Pain is a strange thing. I never used to take OTC drugs for anything, not even for the migraines that would completely incapacitate me as a kid. When I go online and read these health sites though, they always reassure us that we don't have to live with pain, that there is medication for (almost) everything. It worries me that we should treat the symptoms and not the causes. Some sites do say that regular exercise and a healthy diet will prevent many ailments, but how many people actually follow those guidelines?

I was really taken with two quotes from Pope John Paul II that appeared in a recent issue of Newsweek: "The pope must suffer so that every family and the world should see that there is, I would say, a higher gospel: the gospel of suffering ..." and "Suffering seems to belong to man's transcendence. It is one of those points in which man is in a certain sense 'destined' to go beyond himself." Although I do not consider myself particularly religious, I still admire the way the pope has handled his pain.

Filed in:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lisa,

sorry to hear you're not feeling well. i hope the medicine helps.

tomo

9:46 PM  
Blogger mlliu said...

Thanks you guys. Took some Dremamine, and I was fine for the rest of the evening. Don't know why I should be surprised when medication works, but I'm glad it did!

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home