Thursday, May 18, 2006

Spring Observations

Flash of blue: I don't know why I should have been surprised, but I hastened to catch another glimpse. There it was, a bluejay, perched on the gutter of a house. Its feathers were a rich blue, not glossy bright like on the bluejays I've seen (when was the last time I saw one?), but blue with purple tones, regal.

Yesterday I passed a young squirrel on the same route. I guessed it was young not just because of its small size but because it didn't scurry away at the sight of me. It was investigating a set of concrete steps leading up to the front of a house. The squirrel was nearly level with my head. But instead of balking, the squirrel merely turned its back to me, then swung back around to face me, eyeing me, as if it had changed its mind and had decided to stick around to see what I'd do.

The pigeon's still there on the nest I first noticed about a month ago. One of these days I expect to hear the shrill begging of squabs. I worry about who else might notice because surely they'd tear the nest down if they knew it was there.

Filed in:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Glad to see you are blogging again!

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home