Wednesday, May 23, 2007

War on Civilians in the Dem. Rep. of the Congo

The most devastating piece of news that I heard last week was a report filed from the Democratic Republic of the Congo:
Woman Tells of Congo Murders (RealAudio file)

Fifty people from this woman's village were captured by the Interahamwe, armed Hutu militia from Rwanda who were involved in the genocide in that country. The woman was the only survivor of that attack.

Excerpt from interview:

After they killed the members of my family, 19 members of the Interahamwe raped me. And then they killed two of my children in front of me. And then they took the baby off my back, and they tied a rope around its neck, and they forced me to pull the rope and kill my own baby.

Also check out the BBC news article "DR Congo's Unending War" for some background on the situation there.

Filed in:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This completely off topic, but perhaps it will be a good excuse to finally update the blog:

I just tagged you: http://maltamalta.blog.com/2298639/

I hope you'll take up the challenge!

Grego

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home