Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Apartment Camping


The Orikaso Bowl

I've never gone camping before, but I'm endlessly fascinated with camping equipment. They feed into my dream that one day, I'll own only so much that I can throw everything into a car and take off.

I also admire the design of some of these products. I recently saw the Orikaso Bowl at a sporting goods store. Orikaso, the company that makes the bowl, also sells foldable cups (it even has handles!) and plates. Awesome.

Then there are those nesting camping cooksets, where the pans can be pots and the lids double as plates. How ingenious is that?

On a completely different note, I found out about an effort similar to NYCares' Winter Wishes program. Called Operation Santa Claus, the program originated with the USPS, which every year receives letters from kids addressed to Santa. In 1912, the Postmaster General authorized the use of these letters for "philanthropic purposes."

If you wish to help answer one of these letters, you can visit Manhattan's General Post Office at 421 8th Ave. (33rd and 8th) between now and Dec. 23, between the hours of 9-4:30 Mondays through Fridays except on Thursdays, 9-7 on Thursdays and 10-4 on Saturdays. You can also send donations, which will be used to throw a Christmas party for underprivileged kids.

Filed in:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also fallen under the powerful spell of foldable apartment ware, in particular portable cardboard chairs.

I'd suggest going camping sometime, even if you don't have the nifty foldable bowl.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home